ADOPTING A BFPA DOG/PUPPY
You’re now on your way to welcoming a new BFPA dog or puppy into your home. We have spelled out below what BFPA has done to prepare these dogs for adoption, and what we expect from anyone who wants to adopt a BFPA dog. Their care, happiness and health are of the utmost importance to us because these dogs will always be members of the BFPA family, as will anyone who adopts a BFPA dog.
Our Dogs and Puppies Have Been:
- Temperament tested
- Examined by one of our licensed, practicing veterinarians
- Vaccinated for distemper/parvo
- Vaccinated for rabies if four months or older and given a rabies tag
- Tested for heartworms if nine months or older and started on monthly heartworm prevention
- Spayed/neutered (adoption of a BFPA puppy will not be finalized until it is sterilized by BFPA. Puppies are altered at 16-18 weeks of age, with the ONLY exception being a veterinarian-confirmed medical condition that requires delaying the procedure.)
ADOPTION FEE: $225.00
Dog Adoption Requirements:
- You must be at least 21-years-old.
- You must live in North Carolina, preferably not too far from the center of the state. We do home visits to finalize adoptions and/or deliver the adopted dog.
- Therefore, we request potential adopters live a reasonable distance to the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill).
- You must be willing to make a 10 to 20-year commitment to the dog.
- You must agree that your new dog will be primarily an indoor companion.
- You will provide good veterinarian care (dog will be kept current on all vaccinations, have an annual wellness exam, be kept on monthly heartworm preventative and emergency care if needed).
- If you currently own a dog, you must be able to provide proof of purchase for monthly heartworm medicine if you do not purchase directly from your veterinarian.
- You must have a secure fenced yard or be committed to multiple daily leash walks in all kinds of weather (snow, heat, ice, pouring rain, etc.).
- Any children in the home must be over the age of 5, unless there is another dog in the home and the toddler knows how to respect a dog’s space.
- All current pets in your household must be sterilized, current on all shots and primarily indoor companions.
- You must fill out our Dog Adoption ApplicationÂ in order to move forward with the adoption process. Completing an application does not obligate you to adopt nor does it guarantee you the dog. Your application must first be approved before moving on to the next step.
If you meet the above criteria and can agree to all our requirements, then you are ready to meet our dogs and puppies.